Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Puppy Raising Mom

In August 2005, I was raising Sonny a MBL. He was about 6 months old and we had decided to go to both the CA and OR Guide Dog Fun Days that year. We spent several days in CA with Stacey, and then we flew to OR where Sonny was puppysat by some raisers up there and where I knew I would get to meet Sonny's brother, Sprite.

The night before Fun Day I was staying at my sister's house in OR. Well, during the night I started barfing my guts out...and it wasn't over in the morning when it was time for me to go to Fun Day. However, being the guide dog freak that I am, I bought me some pepto and off to Fun Day I went.

When it was time, I went to the designated meeting spot to meet Sonny's brother Sprite and his raisers. At that spot on the grass in OR, I met Bob and Tricia Blair. This started a fabulous friendship between Tricia and I.

Tricia became my "guide dog mom" and we talked on the phone almost daily for quite some time. When I was going through so-called rough times in my young adult life, Tricia was the person who would hear me cry over the phone...she was also the person who would send me care packages in the mail, and when I really needed her? Tricia was at my door, giving up her weekend to come visit me! She became my second mom.

Tricia was diagnosed with Brain cancer about 7 months ago...and about a week ago, Tricia was freed from her sick body and is now an angel for many! I know that Tricia is happy wherever she is now, and is no longer in pain. She was a wonderful woman who meant the world to many people including me.

So from Lindsey and the "nasty GSD Ontario" (as Tricia would say)...I love you Tricia!

2 comments:

Hobbes Dogs said...

Thank you for sharing that with us. She sounds like a wonderful person.

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman.