Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Spence

Spence was the first transfer pup I raised. He was born Feb. 26, 2003 and I got him at the beginning of Sept. His parents were Wallace and Lanai. Spence came from a very successful litter! I think 6/8 pups in his litter became guides. Anyway, I got Spence at the Utah State Fair. He was HUGE when I got him and continued to grow. Spence became known as "Moose" at our house because he was so huge!

Spence as a baby in his first puppy club
Spence grew into a beautiful big boy! He was more challenging than Magician and Anya, but I was up for the challenge with Spence. He was a lot of FUN! The hardest thing about Spence was that nobody else in my club could handle him, so that was hard as I could never get a break from him.


Spence at about 7 months?

Spence taught me:

*patience

*it's okay to have FUN!

*dogs can change

*things aren't always as they appear

*it doesn't matter what other people think

Spence was thriving in my house and doing amazingly well! He was happy and very well behaved after a few months of work with him. Around Christmas time, Spence was attacked by another dog while we were on a walk :( This shattered Spence's confidence around other dogs and at the end of Feb. 2004 he went back to GDB for an evaluation and they decided that he was just too scared of loose dogs to be a guide. Spence was placed by GDB in a loving home with a couple in CA. He is a therapy dog now and is extremely happy and loved by his people!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Aww he's handsome!

Emily and the Labradors said...

Dogs CAN change... you are right! I've had more than one dog teach me that too :)