Many people have said throughout my 8 years of puppy raising..."I could never do that...I could never give the dog up...I get too attached"...I usually say that you learn to do it more gracefully each time, and while it never gets easy it is always worth it in the end when you get to see how much of a difference the dog makes in the life of somebody else. But if I'm not in a good mood I'm thinking in my head "sheesh, do you think I'm a heartless person...you don't have a CLUE what it feels like to be so attached and then let it go!"
So anyway...back to my story...I'm going to make a difference in somebody's life 1 person at a time :) I was thinking about why I love raising puppies so much and why I want to work at guide dogs so bad... I guess I want everybody to know that I raise puppies for several different reasons...
- The change that these dogs make in people's lives is too incredible...that's why I'm addicted to raising...
- When you see that little puppy who you poured your heart and soul into and it means 10x more to that blind person than it means to you...it's worth it!
- When you think of those nights you cried and the heartache that you had when your puppy left you...you feel sorry for yourself...but it's worth it!
- When you take your puppy out early in it's life and it has a "potty accident" in a public place...it's embarrassing...but it's worth it!
- When strangers come up to you and tell you that their brother's friend's grandpa's cousin had a guide dog and it made such a difference in his life...it's kind of awkward...but it's worth it!
- When your puppy goes to school with you and the other teachers and staff as well as the students get attached...and you are the bad one who "lets the puppy go"...it's sad for everybody...but it's worth it!
- When that blind person at graduation talks about the first time they picked up the harness and said "forward" and they never walked so fast or free in their life...that's when it all comes together and there is no other experience like it!
So that my friends...that is why I raise puppies!